Friday, June 25, 2010

Another week in The Hague

Tues-
Today was a big day as Diego (Scott’s coworker’s husband) and I were on a mission to get sim cards for our cell phones, so we could finally feel connected. We went to T-Mobile to get a sim card for me to use with Scott’s old Blackberry. I put it in the phone, and then added minutes before I realized the phone did not accept the Sim card. Bummer. We figured it was locked and we would need a code to unlock. So I brought the phone home to Scott thinking he may have the code, but he didn’t. We went online and saw you could spend $20.00 to get a code. The T-Mobile store told me I could just get a new phone for 20 Euro, so figured this was my best bet. I am waiting for the new I-Phone to come out, so just need something in between. The I-phone will be great for me since will have Skype and a GPS. I know the phone came out on the 25th in NY. Any feedback from people who purchased?

Funniest story since we have been here-Today I was watching CNN international. The broadcaster was broadcasting from a bar in NYC celebrating the World Cup. You could see people cheering for Mexico and then I saw one guy cheering like crazy for USA. I take a closer look and it is one of my old coworkers from Zeta Interactive. How crazy. So emailed my old boss and was like I think I just saw Rod. She asked him and he was there. He thought it was hysterical that I saw him all the way across the globe.


Wed-
First thing in the morning I went to the T-mobile store to buy a new phone. Very cute phone you can buy for just $20 Euro. But along with the phone you get a second Sim card. Problem is this card is a different telephone. I don’t want to confuse people with a second number, so now I have a 5 Euro sim card, up for grabs. Anyone interested?

Today also did more food exploration. I decided to go into a health store and lo and behold but what do I see rice pasta and not just any rice pasta, but the kosher brand we used to buy in the States. Wohoo, now Scott is all hooked up.

Thurs-

Day started off great as the housekeepers came to clean our place. So nice to have someone clean for you. Going to savor this for a while. At night we had a BBQ at one of Scott’s coworkers home. They live right outside of town in a great house and have the cutest 11 month old. Shout out to Lucas. They were so nice and accommodated our kosher needs and we ate really well. It was nice hanging out with such great people and I know we are going to have such nice friends in The Hague.

Fri-
Yay did meat shopping today. I went to the kosher store and bought lots of beef and chicken. We have realized we really were not eating enough meat and that was a shock to our system, so now we are all good to go. Just hoping the beef has no MSG as MSG and Scott don’t get along. Then met a new friend from the Jewish community for a drink. She gave me the lowdown on the local Jewish community and gave me great advice on traveling, keeping kosher, and medical care. It is so nice to know there are great people here we can be friends with and as she is a native New Yorker, she understands my quick NY speak.

And tonight for dinner we had our first real good shabbos meal, chicken and beef and potatoes with onions and asparagus with garlic. Yum, yum. Of course my oven is so small, that I had to cook everything separate, but that is ok. At least we are eating better now.

Looking forward to a great Shabbos. Going to the Rabbi for lunch and then attending a community BBQ on Sunday. Details to follow.

2 comments:

  1. As a worried Jewish mother, I am so happy that you two are finally eating better

    good shabbos

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a shout out to mom for figuring out how to comment

    ReplyDelete